Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Funny Valentine


Lorenz Hart was one of the greatest lyricists of all time. Of course, the author of "Is your figure less than Greek? Is your mouth a little weak? When you open it to speak, are you smart?" ("My Funny Valentine") was an alcoholic, suffered from depression and had an all around difficult life--especially in his later years. Still, every Valentine's Day, it is this song (my favorite version is sung by Ella Fitzgerald) that sends me swooning.

He also wrote the lyrics for "Isn't it Romantic" and "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered," two of my favorites. On that note, I'll leave you with this:

"Romance, finis.
Your chance, finis.
Those ants that invaded my pants, finis.
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered - no more"


Don't worry, Lorenz. You might not be here but your words are.

And would you be my Valentine?

Love,

Barbara

1 comment:

  1. Barbara -

    I've just sat here a bit and read your posts. They are wonderful. You write with heart, honestly, and thoughtfully. I hope many more people get to read your work - keep it up. Ben Janowski

    ReplyDelete